FAQ RF Synthesizers
- 1. USB connection problems (e.g. driver not found)
- If you have problems connecting with USB, in particular no driver found:
- 1. Ensure the device (ARF/XRF) is connected to your computer via USB cable.
- 2. Download the drivers from the link below.
- 3. Double-click to run the .exe setup program you downloaded.
- 4. Go to the install directory, usually c:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\Virtual comport driver, then select [Win7] or [Win8] (for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10).
- 5. Double-click on dpinst_x86.exe for 32-bit or dpinst_amd64.exe for 64-bit machines, and follow the instructions.
- 6. Once installation is completed, restart your computer.
- 7. When your computer is finished booting, disconnect the USB cable to the ARF/XRF, and then reconnect.
STM32 Virtual COM Port driver
- 2. FREQUENCY, POWER, PHASE do not work in NSA mode
Correct. If you switch to NSA mode to work with the DDS directly, you are circumventing the FPGA. You then have to control the DDS freq, ampl, phas registers directly.
- 3. Maximum RF output power is only 0.5W (27dBm)
Units are shipped with software power limit set to 0.5W (27dBm) to avoid damaging AOMs. See manual, appendix B, LIMIT command.
- 4. CH2 power is shown as "nan", and no output occurs on this channel
- This is a problem that can arise on older Rev2 units after a firmware upgrade. The solution is as follows:
- 1. Open mogrf and connect to the device
- 2. Go to "File">"Device command"
- 3. Type in get,sid and press Enter
- 4. Type calcom,[SID], where [SID] is the output of the first command (a string of 10 characters). The unit should respond "OK"
- 5. Restart the device and CH2 should now function normally
- 5. Factory reset failure: the initial countdown timer reaches 1 and the device freezes
- This is a problem that can arise from a corrupt factory FPGA image. The solution is as follows:
- 1. Set DIP2 off
- 2. Restart the device and upload a new factory image, for example using mogrffw with the -x option
- 3. Upload a new FPGA image
- 4. Set DIP2 on and restart device; the device should then operate normally and factory reset should work